The Board of Fire and Police Commissioners for the City of North Chicago is now accepting applications for the position of Entry Level Firefighter
Testing is being conducted to establish an eligibility list for future hiring needs.
With two stations, they serve a community of 32,574 residents. Their eight-square mile district includes, residential, commercial, heavy industrial and chemical manufacturing. Their personnel are highly trained and prepared for incidents including fire suppression, emergency medical calls, terrorism threats, hazardous material incidents, and specialty rescue services.
Applications are available at:
Applications will be available online for purchase until 5/1/19 – 2:00 PM
The deadline for returning completed applications is:
Wednesday, May 1, 2019 by 4:00 PM
(NOTE: This is not a postmark date)
All applications must be returned to the office of:
C.O.P.S. and F.I.R.E. Personnel Testing Service
ATTN: North Chicago FD
200 W. Higgins Road, Suite 201
Schaumburg, IL 60195
You must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Citizenship: Must be a U.S. Citizen or legal resident of the U.S. who produces evidence of intention to become a U.S. Citizen.
- Driver’s License: Must possess a valid Driver’s License at the time of application with the ability to obtain an Illinois Driver’s License upon time of hire.
- Age Requirement: Applicants must have attained their 21st and birthday by last date for filing applications (5/1/19). Applicants must be under the age of 35 at the day of testing (5/18/19) unless exempt by State Statute 65 IL 5/10 – 2. 1-6 which provides, in part, that the age limitation does not apply to any person previously employed as a certified full-time firefighter in a regularly constituted fire department or fire protection district located in the State of Illinois.
- Education: Must have proof of High School Diploma, GED Certificate or High School Proficiency Statement.
- Vision: Eyesight must be corrected to at least 20/20, and free of color blindness
- Residence: All members and all successful applicants for the Fire Department of North Chicago shall reside within the following borders, so long as they reside in the State of Illinois; Northern border- Illinois State line; Eastern Border- Lake Michigan; Western border- Route 23; Southern border Interstate 88. Probationary employees will receive eighteen (18) months in which to comply with the residency requirements.
- CPAT Card - NOTE: All applicants must acquire a CPAT Card (Candidate Physical Ability Card) with ladder climb exercise, obtained no more than one year prior to date of hire.
- NOTE: Candidates must obtain, by time of appointment, an Illinois EMT-Paramedic license.
All individuals meeting eligibility requirements are encouraged to continue with the application process
Additional information will be provided in the packet which can be downloaded at:
There is a $30.00 non-refundable application fee.
Applications are NOT available at the North Chicago Fire Department or City Hall.
Applicants must attend the mandatory orientation and test date
Mandatory Orientation and Written Examination
Saturday, May 18, 2019
Registration starts at 8:00 AM
Orientation – 8:30 AM
Written Examination immediately following the Orientation
Rosalind Franklin School of Medicine
3333 Green Bay Rd.
North Chicago, IL 60064
All applications are subject to the Rules and Regulations of the Board of Fire and Police Commissioners of the City of North Chicago, which is an Equal Opportunity Employer.