FULL-TIME TELECOMMUNICATOR POSITION
Western Will County Communications Center (WESCOM) is a consolidated emergency communications center serving eight police agencies and twelve fire agencies. WESCOM employs 27 full-time and 9 part-time Telecommunicators.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Answers incoming emergency and routine assistance calls.
- Independently assesses need and urgency of requests and situations and dispatches emergency response personnel including law enforcement personnel, firefighters, emergency medical personnel and others to incident/accident scenes.
- Receives and accurately relays/transcribes information, messages and requests for the Communications Center.
- Enters data and information into WESCOM and State computer databases.
- Operates radio and telecommunication systems including computer aided dispatching equipment (CAD), telephone device for the deaf (TDD/TTY), fax machines, and telephones.
- Maintains knowledge of current communication policies and procedures and state, national and local dispatch standards.
- Participates in on-going training.
- Answers telephone requests for information, performs emergency warning notifications, performs clerical and general office functions, provides court testimony as required.
- Monitors bank, business, and residential alarms, and notifies appropriate person/agency as required, operates LEADS system: Enters stolen vehicles/items, missing persons and other information, maintains logs, records and files as required.
- High School Diploma or equivalent and must successfully complete general knowledge written test, grammar test, and listening tests.
- Must be 20 years of age at time of application.
- Successfully and accurately pass a typing test at 35 words per minute working knowledge of computers.
- Prior public safety dispatching experience desirable.
- Bilingual skills desirable.
- Obtain LEADS certification within one year of employment and annually maintain LEADS certification.
- Obtain CPR and Emergency Medical Dispatch certifications within one year of employment and maintain CPR and EMD certifications.
- No felony convictions, and submit to a criminal history check.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Communicate effectively with the general public, co-workers, and emergency service agencies both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize.
- Ability to responsibly and independently apply situational reasoning ability by exercising judgment, decisiveness and creativity in emergency situations involving a variety of pre-defined duties subject to frequent change. Maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Receive and process constructive criticism in a professional manner.
WESCOM is seeking top candidates who can provide quality service in a busy 9-1-1 center.
Applicants whose experience and skills most closely meet the needs of this position may be invited to participate in testing exercises.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR APPLYING:
MUST COMPLETE THE APPLICATION BY FEBRUARY 12, 2021 at 4:00 PM.
Applications must be submitted at:
24600 W. Presidential Avenue
Plainfield, IL 60544
Applications may be obtained through our website:
Request that the application be sent via email:
A COPY of your Driver's License, a COPY of your Birth Certificate, a COPY of your Social Security Card, and a COPY of your High School Diploma or equivalent must be submitted with your application. (we do not accept originals)
- MUST COMPLETE A TYPING COMPETENCY TEST BY: February 12, 2021
- Where: THE RESERVES, 301 Vertin Blvd., Shorewood IL.
- Call 815-556-8275 for an appointment.
- The fee for this test is $25 and is non-refundable.
- Your typing test results need to be turned in with your completed application.
- MUST ATTEND THE ORIENTATION SESSION:
- You will be notified of the date/time.
- Orientation will be held at WESCOM.
- AT THE ORIENTATION SESSION, MUST BRING A GOVERNMENT PHOTO ID SUCH AS A VALID DRIVERS LICENSE.
- Top qualifying candidates may be invited for further testing and interviews.
- Final selection is contingent upon a background check, and pre-employment physical which includes drug testing.
WESCOM reserves the right to change this process at any time.
If you are interested in this career opportunity, please contact WESCOM at:
For further information e-mail: